Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

 Alaska

From the 50 State Visitor Guide :

Alaska Statutes 2025  §§12.63.010 through 12.63.100; §18.65.087; §28.05.048

Registration Triggers and Deadlines:

Alaska Stat. §12.63.010(a)3 requires in-person registration for any SO “present in the state” by “next working day.”

However Alaska DPS states that visitors for less than 30 days do not have to register, but must inform law enforcement of their presence by submitting a Temporary Presence Form available at https://sor.dps.alaska.gov/Home/Documants

Confirmed June 2026

Residency/Presence and Other Restrictions:

None found.

Duration & updates:

15 years to life.  Tier I – annual reg.  Tier 2 – quarterly reg.  §12.63.020

Alaska Marine Highway (Ferry) – Don’t even think about it!

No I have not been to Alaska – at least not yet.  Instead, in 2026 a person who DID travel to Alaska posted about it on the ACSOL travel discussion page, saying they had submitted the Temporary Presence form described above and reported that the system works just fine.  They were able to submit the form on-line and didn’t have to report in person either upon arrival or departure.

Also, while on my 2026 Pacific Northwest road trip I stopped in the town of Bellingham to see about a whale watching tour for the following day.  Turns out the Alaska Ferry is next door, and I had been wondering about it for a while, so I investigated it so you don’t have to. 

I was wondering about this ferry because, as I’m sure you know, it’s not possible for registrants to travel by car to Alaska because Canada won’t let us in – not even “just passing through.”  Is the Alaska Ferry a realistic alternative?

NO.  It’s outrageously expensive even if you don’t bring your car (double everything if you do), it takes 3 1/2 days to get to Skagway, and oh by the way there’s no roads from Skagway to anywhere else without going through Yukon Territory which you’re not allowed to do.  Instead, you’ll have to get on yet another outrageously expensive ferry to have any hope of reaching Anchorage.

You’ll save time and money and have way more fun if you can find an Alaskan cruise that doesn’t do a background check.

Bruce Hossfield, Atwo Zee Registered Traveler

No comments:

Post a Comment