New York City
From the 50 State Visitor Guide :
N.Y. C.L.S.
2019Corrections §§168
Registration Triggers and Deadlines:
10 calendar days for
initial reg., after “establishing residency” (not defined), and for updates. §§168-f, 168-k.In-state
workers required to register if present for more than 14 consecutive days or an
aggregate period exceeding 30 days in a calendar year. §168-a.
Visitors: Per NY SOR office, 10 consecutive days or 14 per month.
NOTE: Partial days count (except just passing through). Procedure
available for removal from registry after departure.
Residency/Presence and Other Restrictions:
Certain laws may
impose a 1,000 ft. residency restriction from schools and child care facilities
for registrants on parole or probation.
Duration & updates:
20 years to life.Updates:L3 & “sexual predators” 90 days; all others annually.§168-h.
Most recent visit: July 2026
When I called the New York State SOR office in June 2020 and again in August 2023 here’s what they told me: visitors get 10 consecutive days or 14 per month before being required to register. Translation: like many other states, New York’s SOR office is simply applying their requirements for new residents and in-state workers to visitors too. It also follows that if, like hundreds of thousands of others, you’re a New Jersey or Connecticut resident commuting daily to your job in New York, you’ll also have to register in New York.
The nice lady at the SOR office also said that partial days do count (except “just passing through”); e.g. if you’re staying in NJ or CT and making daily trips into NYC to see the sights or to work, each one of those trips will count toward your allowable total.
The good news for registered visitors is that, unless you are on parole or probation, there are no residency or presence restrictions. How could you possibly keep track of or enforce such restrictions on visitors in a city like New York anyway?
For this post I have decided to separate New York City from New York State. They are such different places that there can be different considerations visiting one vs. the other. In preparing to write this post I asked Derek Logue of OnceFallen, who has been researching local registry requirements (see the link on my main page), about NYC. He reports that, outside of probation or parole, this state does not have residency laws nor can municipalities pass such laws unless the state legislature allows them to, and they haven't done that yet.
You should not attempt to drive into New York City. Instead, go to a convenient suburban train station, park there and take the train into town. Once you’re there you can Uber around or use the subway as I did (seriously, folks, it’s perfectly safe although sometimes confusing).
In early July 2026, while visiting my sister-in-law in northern NJ, I spent a day in Manhattan with the idea of doing a couple of things that, even though I’ve been in and out of this region my whole life, I had never gotten around to before.
My two objectives for the day were: Go to the Statue of Liberty, and see a lot of Central Park (instead of just looking at it from the perimeter). For the Statue of Liberty you can take a Parks Service concession boat ride from either Manhattan (Battery Park) or New Jersey (Hoboken). It first takes you to the Statue, where you stay as long as you want, and then to Ellis Island, same thing. From there you can either go back to the statue or back to your starting point.
I was coming by train from a station about 45 minutes from my sister-in-law’s house in far northern New Jersey, getting on a PATH train to the World Trade Center, and walking to the Battery Park terminal from there (it’s not that far). I knew all that was gonna take a while so I made my boat reservation for 11:00 am, and that turned out perfect. I saw both islands in a little over two hours, but I think most visitors would want to stay longer.
Upon returning to WTC Station, I took a subway up to the south end of Central Park. It was 2:00 pm by now and I was starving, so I had a pastrami sandwich at a genuine NY Deli. Upon entering the park I immediately saw a group of Central Park Bicycle Carriage Tour guys waiting to charge me a lot of money for a tour. As cheap as I am I realized that was the way to go instead of just charging off blindly into the wilderness. See photos. I finished up around 4:30, at which point it was time to start home.
Let me point out here how these time considerations can affect anyone visiting this vast city. If I had chosen to stay in Manhattan instead of at my sister-in-law’s house, it would’ve been zillions of dollars per night. On the other hand, I could’ve banged out at least four major destinations instead of the two I accomplished that day. But that would only be the case if all destinations were in Manhattan. Any destinations in other boroughs would add hours of travel time, as would trying to save hotel costs by staying e.g. in Brooklyn.
It really is a huge city.
On a previous trip to my sister-in-law’s house in New Jersey I again wanted to spend a day visiting a few sights in Manhattan. It had been years, meaning since before I got arrested and went to prison. I commuted to Hoboken on one of New Jersey’s many rail lines and took a PATH train to Lower Manhattan. After disembarking at the World Trade Center I visited Ground Zero. Then took a subway uptown to Times Square, which I took in while having a chili dog and a pretzel for lunch. Hey, what else would you have in New York, right?
I spent most of that afternoon at the Museum of Natural History, but also had time to walk the length of Manhattan’s Hi Line linear park. Then it was back to Hoboken, where I ate dinner at a Cuban restaurant (again, what else, right?). Then boarded my commuter train back to my brother’s house.
All together a great day in New
York City and only used up one partial day with destinations.
Bruce Hossfield, Atwo Zee Registered Traveler

No comments:
Post a Comment